Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Eritrean Wedding, Night Protest from Sat. May 11th

Omgosh I swear I haven't gotten any sleep over the past few days. I've been meaning to write about the weekend and tomorrow is Wednesday; if I don't write now it'll slip my mind completely.

Anyway, on Friday last weekend, I decided to hit the road for TLV; I was getting some serious cabin fever. I just went by myself, everyone else was staying at the kibbutz, and I had some relaxing chill out time. 

On Saturday I met an Israeli friend of mine who is friends with this Eritrean guy. His sister was getting married and he told my friend to invite people to the wedding! We went and it was really awesome. And guess where it was - at the Central Bus Station! There's a whole underground area with dance halls.

The music was really interesting. I couldn't quite figure out the beat. There was a lot of shaking and shimmying of shoulders...

The people seemed really welcoming, even though I didn't know any of them or speak their language, like nobody looked at me weird when I was trying to dance but didn't quite know how, lol.

After that, we went to a protest against economic policies that will harm low and middle income families. I asked my friend why the protest was at night, and she said because it's too hot during the day! It makes sense. We are in the MENA (Middle East-North Africa) region.
































































No comments: