Thursday, May 30, 2013

Another Fabulous Thursday

I have 3 weeks left of my program. ;-( I'm really going to miss all the great friends I've made and my thought-provoking classes.

Today, for my Middle Eastern history class, we met in Caesarea, where our teacher, Professor David Mendelsohn, lives. We had class next to an obelisk that was probably brought from Egypt and installed as a tribute to an egotistical Roman nouveau riche dude back in ancient times.

Prof. Mendelsohn always makes my mind churn. He brought a guest to class today, a young man named Gil who recently finished the army. As a class, we had decided previously that we wanted to hear from a regular Israeli, since most of the Israelis we are exposed to come from socialist, left-wing backgrounds.

I wish I could write more but I'm so tired right now - long day! In the afternoon, I went back to Caesarea with two of my classmates, Rebecca from Australia and Milad from Washington, D.C. Except this time, we went swimming with our Arabic teacher Meirav!

I don't think I would ever make aliyah; I consider myself American first and foremost, but swimming in the ocean made me think, it would be awesome to get to swim in the smooth Mediterranean every day!

Of course, Meirav's beloved dog Dubalei came along too. "Duba" means "bear" in Hebrew, and Duabelei is an affectionate diminutive term.

How many times in a person's life do they get to hang out with such cool teachers and classmates in such a historical, beautiful, and complicated place?






















No comments: