Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Slut Walk, Jerusalem, Friday, May 28th

Please pardon the title of this post.


It was really the name of an event that I went to on Friday in Jerusalem. The famous/infamous (depending on your perspective) Slut Walk started in Toronto, Canada in 2011, when a police officer suggested that women would experience less sexual harassment if they "stopped dressing like sluts." (More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut_walk).

After that, people in Toronto started the Slut Walk to protest the societal belief that women "deserve" to be sexually harassed or assaulted based on what they wear. When someone says "she's asking for it," even if that person doesn't intend to, they are implying that women "deserve" to be targets of sexual violence.

The Slut Walk that I went to was the first one I've ever been to, though it also happens in the Bay Area and New York, where I used to live. The event was smaller than I expected, but it was really fun. Men were also protesting in solidarity, which was great to see. 

I went with my Australian friend Rebecca. We didn't understand all the slogans because they were in Hebrew, but, thanks to our Hebrew lessons, we understood one slogan: "Ha-goof shelee oo raq shelee." (This body is mine and no one else's.)
















No comments: