On Tuesday in the morning, I went with a co-worker to see a performance by the Nazareth Fringe Theater Ensemble, a small local theater troupe. My NGO is partnering with them to produce a series of performances on the topic "freedom of expression." This particular performance took place at a community center and the audience was a group of middle-aged and elderly women. The actors asked the women questions relating to their lives, which elicited discussion and led some of the women to share their experiences, which the actors then portrayed in improvisational vignettes. Topics ranged from going to the wrong Jewish wedding by mistake, to missing family members that lived far away in Canada.
I wrote a review of the performance (in English) and the NGO is going to use it for their website. ;-)
The Nazareth Fringe Theater Ensemble
Today, I went back to that cafe I wrote about on Monday (and which I first went to on Monday). The owners, a young man and woman in their twenties, were sitting at a table chilling out, and I sat down with them. A few of their friends came by. The young man was building bird houses out of popsicle sticks! And the girl is so nice. She is very patient when explaining words to me that I don't understand, and they both know a lot of English, so if I get stuck I can speak that. It was fun to hang out with a group of people my own age and speak Arabic for several hours! ;-) I really admire them for running their own business. It seems like a hard thing to do, especially when you are young.
This weekend, I am going to visit one of my co-worker's families in her village. I really can't believe how welcoming people are to a total stranger. I wonder if the same things would happen in America...
No comments:
Post a Comment