Thursday, September 26, 2013

Small surprises

So this morning I was sitting at my desk, mulling over what sort of angle to take on an article I'm trying to write about language bias in the Israeli media and the Prawer Plan, when I get a phone call from an Israeli journalist who said he was a friend of one of my co-workers. He needed a native English speaker to help him edit a voiceover (text version) that narrates a story about Golan Heights Druze and the effect of the Israeli-Syrian border on their lives. Not only did I get to learn more about the tough situation of the approximately 6,000 Druze in the Golan who don't have citizenship in any country (they see themselves as part of Syria, not Israel), but I got paid for editing! Being a native English speaker really has its perks sometimes. 

I won't give away the details of the story the journalist is working on, at least not until he's confirmed with me that it's definitely going to air. It's not a huge secret, but I want to respect the integrity of the piece.

After work I went to meet him at the cafe I normally frequent, and it turns out that he was collaborating with one of the young men who is a friend of the cafe's owners. This young man is a film editor. I made a comment to both the journalist and the film editor that I like coming to the cafe because the owners have all of these really artistic friends - musicians, etc. - and the film editor said, "Well, a lot of people in the arts and entertainment industry are unemployed, so we have time to sit in cafes and go blah blah blah." Lol.

Well, now I really should wash my sheets. But I hope I get to do some more editing. I'm not sure that I want to be a journalist myself - as evidenced by the fact that I still haven't managed to write an article on language bias and the Prawer Plan, despite having thought about it all morning - but I sure do like working with journalists.

No comments: