Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How many years do you carry?

Even though I've been learning Spanish for almost 17 years now, I didn't realize until recently that when you ask someone, "Cuantos años llevas [insert length of time or activity]?" (How many years have you been...) you are literally asking them, "How many years do you carry...?"


Do people perceive time differently depending on the language(s) they speak? When I think of "how many years do you carry?" it feels as if time has a weight, that I would be "rooted" to the place I am describing.


In Arabic, to say "3 days ago" you literally say "before 3 days." Time feels more mathematical to me in Arabic, whereas the word "ago" seems to have an abstract quality to it, as if I can't concretely "feel" how long 3 days is. 


It was almost two months ago that I left Hummus Land (my attempt at humor in reference to "Israel/Palestine/the Holy Land"). It feels like yesterday, but also as if I had never been there.


Do we perceive time "faster" now because of our addiction to the Internet? 

Before I was born, was there no time because I was not around to perceive it? Does time exist outside of our ability to comprehend it? (Sort of like the "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it" theory).

No comments: