Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Last Goodbye of the Season

 4:33am, New York Time, June 26 (a Thursday, as it happens)

So, I am writing now because I know that if I don’t, I probably won’t, and for some reason, being up in the wee hours gives me motivation to write, and also being drunk. (Two mini life lessons I learned while traveling: these are the times when I am most motivated to do things.)

I just said goodbye to my friend Juliet, who I spent 2 weeks in Morocco with, the one who was studying Moroccan Arabic there for a year. She stopped in New York for an 11-hour layover on her way home to the West (a.k.a. the Best/Left) Coast. I had flown home the day before her from Casablanca (and no, there is no white house there, as I had been hoping; I asked a Moroccan).

I probably wrote this in some post back, but my life has become a series of goodbyes. And it won’t stop becoming a series of goodbyes, just because my current traveling addiction has been halted by the social mores and necessities of being an American in my late 20s (erg…offspring clock ticking…single…go to grad school…get real job…most of the time I brush off these social “pressures” or “milestones,” though I will admit that sometimes I get “itched” by them – you’ll have to pardon if my English is messed up; I’ve technically been talking with non-native English speakers for a year and a half now).

I have 3 new life goals now:

*Go back to Cappadocia someday and get over my fear of heights so I can take that balloon ride, which I can’t stop kicking myself for not doing (I know, #firstworldproblems, it’s okay, you can laugh)

*Learn French (essential for the Arab world, unless you want to be talking in FusHa all the time and sound like a Shakespearian robot)

*Just Do It, like Nike says (thank you capitalism for your inspiration, which I rarely seek from you)

*Live in Haifa for a year

*Live in Berlin for a year

Okay, so that turned out to be 5. Anyway.

I kind of hate how I lose touch with people. Even if we are “connected” through Facebook. I’ll admit I’m pretty lazy about it, but whenever people leave, I get all nostalgic and think about things I did with people, even if it was years ago. Dammit.

Sometimes I wonder if we are no more “connected” than the people of Downton Abbey, that British drama series about the aristocracy and servants in early 20th century England. When the characters left, they knew they probably wouldn’t see the same people again. Even though it’s not quite like that today, what with all the digital links that keep us in touch with each other, sometimes I still feel like I’m in Downton Abbey when it comes to goodbyes.

I get this pang in my heart, and then I think about mistakes too, like, Oh I wish I hadn’t treated this person like that etc.

Can you tell I’m someone who can dwell on something forever? Sometimes I have to give myself a nudge and say, “It’s okay to move on. Go enjoy that ice cream.”

(Pardon my randomness if you see it; it’s still 4:48am in the wee hours, and I’m not planning anything as I’m writing. This is “stream-of-consciousness.”)

It has become less pleasurable recently to crack my knuckles. I wonder if my knuckle cracking days are over.

How do Arab cultural styles towards work and American cultural styles towards work affect the international arena regarding NGOs?

How does our addiction to our smart phones affect our every day interactions?

These are 3 random thoughts that have passed through my head in the last 24 hours.

Ok, so now on to Morocco. Like my mother, I am a Southerner in some regards, and like Arabs talking in FusHa, I tend to ramble a bit before getting to the point. I think this is a cultural thing. (Oh there goes the anthropologist in me blaming everything on culture.)

Morocco is a whirlwind place of chaos in the streets, constantly bumping into people, little kids hustling because they have to, everyone hustling something, from used clothes to old electronics to single cigarettes.

Morocco is a place of sexual harassment, where men still blame it on the women (e.g. for not dressing “right,” prostitutes causing it, it’s not important if it’s only verbal, etc.)

Morocco is also a place of incredible kindness and warmth. Like I was riding in a taxi and falling asleep, and my head accidentally hit this woman’s shoulder, and I thought she was gonna say, “Excuse me,” but she offered to let me keep sleeping on her shoulder!

Like, who would do that in the United States?

And then in Casablanca, on my last day, Juliet and I were wandering around this old slaughterhouse, which has been turned into an art complex, and the groundskeeper approached us; we thought we were in trouble (like we needed to buy a ticket or something), and then he invited us in for tea! We had barely known him 5 minutes.

In a woody park near Fez, I nearly had my pants pulled down by a monkey. No joke (he probably thought the bead on the string on my pants was a nut.)

And the mom of a friend of Juliet’s (she is from Fez and so is Juliet’s friend) showed us around Fez, then by surprise took us to her home, where she fed us like 5 times and then we napped there all afternoon.

My favorite comment from one of Juliet’s friends was, “When you first get married, you have to pretend to be a little dumb; then later on you can show your husband how smart you really are.”

In a taxi from Chefchaouen on the way to Akchour (this national park), I asked the taxi driver if the reason people in the north were more calm was because they smoked a lot of weed (there is a huge marijuana industry in the north, and I had heard that rumor). He laughed and said, “Well if people are smoking pot, they’re not gonna be dangerous or aggressive. However, I will say that the chickens here eat the pot seeds and produce more eggs.” And he wasn’t joking! LOL. Most hilarious cab ride ever.

And I LOVE rakheef (it might be pronounced ragheef – sorry but it’s hard to explain what “kh” and “gh” sound like in writing; if you see me in person ask and I can make the sounds). It’s this layered bread type thing, sort of a cross between a pancake and an arepa, covered with cheese and lathered in honey.

Next mini life goal: find a Moroccan restaurant in the U.S. that has this. We ate it nearly every day for breakfast.

Okay, my mental battery is starting to flicker out. I think I should go back to bed.

I wish I could write about all that I saw in Morocco, but my Internet access there was limited, so I had to store some anecdotes in my brain, which is kind of like putting paper in a laundry machine and hoping it comes out dry. The details might get a little smudged, but the basic meat of the memory is still there.

I will say though, I had started to write a post my first day there, about getting scrubbed at the hammam. I’ll try to recount it here:

So our first day me and Juliet went to a real ladies’ hammam (I’m saying ladies to respectfully classify female homo sapiens, I don’t mean that the hammam was classy; it was an ordinary hammam), with all these naked women splayed out on these short little stools in these steaming hot rooms, scrubbing away their dead skin (which really does peel off like small pieces of lint afterwards) with this velvety brown liquidy soap stuff.

Some little kids were in there too, and there was an old lady; I dunno how she didn’t trip on the slippery tiled floor, she was so bent over.

So it was STEAMING; it’s like going into a big locker room without the lockers, and there’s a drain in the middle of the floor, and this one area with the taps (one for hot water, one for cold), and everyone’s got their buckets full to the brim, and sloshing water over themselves, and getting scrubbed down by these ladies wearing red, bathing-suit panties (they reminded me of lifeguards, in a way). The experience was supposed to be relaxing, but I felt like I was being grated as if I were a piece of cheese. I did come out squeaky clean though. ;-)

I also found it ironic how on the street, you are supposed to technically be modest (though I saw a lot of women and girls without headscarves, and wearing shorts and tank tops), but in this hammam, all these ladies were naked with each other. I thought, wow, this must be a heaven for lesbians.

Okay, my mental battery is on its last leaks now. I think it is time to wrap up.

If you’ve gotten this far, thank you for reading. It’s been a long, crazy journey, what can I say, someday hopefully I can tell my grandkids about this experience (although I want grandkids, I don’t really want kids, so I don’t quite know how I’m going to get past that problem – I may have to go ahead and suffer through the cookie dough in order to get the cookies).

I’m probably not gonna write on this blog again, so whoever has read it or been reading it for the past year and a half, thank you for taking a peek at my life, and I wish you all the adventure, luck, hope, all the sugar, that your dreams come true blahblahblah, you get my gist.

And I wish you love. Above all I wish you love. Because even if I did not become fluent in Arabic, I have had the chance to love, not just in a romantic sense. If I remember anything from Israel when I am old, it will be standing on a street corner in Tel Aviv, caught in the indecisive net of deciding whether to stay in Israel or go back to the States, being embraced by a dear male friend, who is the first (and perhaps only) male friend I have trusted to be that physically close with and still have it stay platonic. I told him, if I go back to the States and it doesn’t work out, will you still be here, waiting for me?

And he said of course, and I just remember him hugging me so tightly, like I was a squishy doll plush toy and he didn’t remember I actually had lungs and a rib cage. I had to unencumber myself after a few moments so I could breathe again.

And if I forget all my Arabic, that’s what I want to remember.







No comments: