This weekend I went to Jerusalem, just for a night (Thursday night). I stayed at a pretty crappy hostel (Citadel Youth Hostel - don't ever stay there!) but it was interesting to walk around the old city in the morning. The streets are tiny, convoluted alleyways and every building is made of beautiful tan-golden stone. The Western Wall has separate men's and women's sections, which I didn't like (me being a feminist and all), but that's what you get in Jerusalem. I had an interesting conversation with this Orthodox girl; I met her when I was trying to find my way back to the central bus station. She was very nice and invited me to Shabbat dinner next time I'm in Jerusalem. She is originally from Wisconsin, made aliyah a few years ago, and became Orthodox. She told me that Orthodox Jews (or at least her sect) believe in reincarnation. I didn't know that before about Jews.
I think it's really beautiful when someone is inspired by God. I feel happy for them. However, I don't feel I could be like that myself; I don't think I could ever let go of my skepticism without also letting go of rationalism.
No comments:
Post a Comment