Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Berlin, Day 3

Today I had lunch with one of my father's former colleagues, whom he worked with on a case where they were trying to win compensation for the descendants of a Holocaust victim. The Holocaust victim actually died in 1937, but he pretty much invented the pasteurization of beer and had a huge beer-production empire. It was really interesting discussing how these types of cases have turned out.

My father's colleague was born and grew up in West Berlin, and he described to me his experiences of visiting relatives in East Berlin and bringing them supplies like coffee. 

My current host, the architect student, also remembered going through the checkpoints as a child to visit her grandmother.

After having lunch with my father's colleague, I met up with my host, and we went to a museum. Then we had a lovely beer at an outdoor cafe and went grocery shopping at a Turkish supermarket. Tomorrow my host is planning to gather with some friends at a park, and she invited me to come along - yay! ;-)

My host has a bubbly, vivacious energy. It's very refreshing. I've laughed a lot today.

As for tomorrow...who knows. I'm going to see how I feel in terms of deciding what to do.








































No comments: