Friday, July 12, 2013

Berlin, Day 4/5

I might be infatuated and need to come down from the clouds, but so far I really like Berlin and I think I need to live here one day (don't worry Mom and Dad, not forever! probably just for 6 months - this city has so much to explore!)

Today (or rather yesterday; it's almost 6am because I stayed up so late talking to my host), I went to the Pergamon Museum, which has excellent exhibits of ancient architecture and art. I saw an exhibit on Gilgamesh, the mythical hero king of Mesopotamia (I remembered reading the book of his adventures in high school) and the real city of Uruk where he was said to have ruled, and also an exhibit on Islamic art. The museum was very well organized and the art was beautiful, but after 2 hours I felt overwhelmed and decided to leave.

I went to join my host and her friends at a cafe where they were having a potluck picnic. We had fun trying to balance on a slag line (kind of like a tight rope). My host's friends were so welcoming and all tried to speak English around me, even though I just met most of them (I had met a few the other night) and don't speak any German (well, now I can say "squirrel," "I like," and "thank you.")

I'll post photos below. Warning: there are a lot! So take your time scrolling.




































































































No comments: