Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Conversations with Arab friends

So I know I said I wouldn't be posting anymore, but I just had to post some recent conversations I've had...Enjoy.

Scene 1: Playing with children (in Arabic). These are kids I have known for a while now.
Child 1: Emily, do you speak Arabic?

Emily: A little bit, so-so.

Child 2: But we are speaking Arabic!

Child 1: Emily, how do you say "chair" in Arabic?

Emily: Um...chair...?

Scene 2: Talking with grownup friends (in English)

Friend: What do you generally think about the people you've met in Baqa?

Emily: Well, the Arabs here like to repeat things a lot, like when you meet someone they say "Ahlan wa sahlan, ahlan wa sahlan, ahlan wa sahlan..."

Friend: I had a friend who went to America and married a girl there. He just came back and when I met him I said, "How are you?" And he said, "Fine." I asked him, "How are things?" And he said, "I already told you, I'm fine." I asked him, "What happened to you?"

No comments: